[Abimelech] said, “We see plainly that the Lord has been with you. So we said, let there be a sworn pact between us, between you and us, and let us make a covenant with you,that you will do us no harm. So he made them a feast, and they ate and drank. In the morning they rose early and exchanged oaths. And Isaac sent them on their way, and they departed from him in peace. That same day Isaac’s servants came and told him about the well that they had dug and said to him, “We have found water.” He called it Beersheba. Genesis 26:28-33
Seeds of the kingdom are highly reproductive. If I plant something simple today, in faith, God will multiply the effects of it. I may believe that what I offered was meager but that’s not the way God looks at it. What happened at Beersheba is a prime example. As you review the chain of historical events with me, focus on the implications for your own story.
- Abraham and King Abimelech made a covenant on this piece of land regarding water rights. Grateful that he could settle there, Abraham named the place ‘Beersheba’, the place of seven wells.
- His son, Isaac, also made a covenant with King Abimelech at Beersheba over water rights. The King admitted that he was in awe of God’s obvious favor on Isaac. After the ceremony, Isaac re-confirmed the name of the place ‘Beersheba’.
- Jacob will have the most significant spiritual experience of his life at Beersheba. It will be here that he wrestles with the Lord and settles his own calling to lead God’s people.
- Nehemiah will return with the exiles to Beersheba, a momentous event in the restoration of God’s people to their own land.
- Beersheba will become the administrative center for the whole region, famous for its commerce and fortresses.
Touched by God, indeed.
People can be blessed. Land can be blessed. Words can be blessed. Touches can be blessed. There are no limits. The Spirit will hover over what is consecrated to God. When God’s finger touches the ordinary, it becomes extraordinary! When I turn my face toward heaven and exclaim that my home, finances, children, calling, and even my pain…. are offered to God as sacrificial acts of worship, heaven comes down. The spiritual seeds that are planted will multiply exponentially and I can count on seeing the cataclysmic results.
I have never been able to forecast what You will do. Ah, but Lord, many times You’ve done more than I dreamed. In faith, I wait for what is yet to be seen. Amen