But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. John 1:12
It really is pretty simple. Believe Jesus claims, then personalize the truth of who He is, and you have the right to become a child of God. Believing His claims is not enough. Making them your own proves acceptance.
- I believe Jesus is God. And if He is God, then everything He does and says becomes of paramount importance.
- I believe Jesus is the Truth. And if He is the Truth, there is no room for any argument. Whatever He says is the way things are. I am who He says I am. He is who He says He is. No identity apart from the one He has spoken over me is valid.
- I believe Jesus is the Way to the Father. And if He is the way, it is an exclusive way. There are no other gods, no other ways, and I accept this or perish.
- I believe Jesus is the Savior. And if He is the Savior, then I need saving. I own my sin and then embrace His sacrifice for myself.
- I believe Jesus is the Lord. And if He is the Lord, then I am not. I give up all rights to autonomy, not for a day or a year, but forever.
Ah, so simple a message. Believe, act on it, and live forever.
You made it easy enough for a child. You made it hard, impossible for those with pride and fragile egos. How we need Your Spirit’s grace to bow in humility. Even today. Amen