Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, and of instruction about washings, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And this we will do if God permits. Hebrews 6:1
I lose so much as God’s created child when I stay in shallow waters. But you might say, “Knowing the Bible takes so much work. I don’t have the time or energy for that. And to be honest, I’m not sure the payoff is worth the investment.” I’ve been there ~ initially questioning how much joy I’ll get from such a significant investment of time and energy. Instead, I settled for thoughts about what devotional book to buy, what church would pour into my depleted reservoirs, what good deeds I might do in the way of service that would make God happy with me, segmenting my life into secular and sacred because God’s Word wasn’t familiar enough to help me merge them.
The writer of Hebrews is saying, “Enough already.” Here is the same scripture in The Message. So come on, let’s leave the preschool fingerpainting exercises on Christ and get on with the grand work of art. Grow up in Christ. The basic foundational truths are in place: turning your back on “salvation by self-help” and turning in trust toward God; baptismal instructions; laying on of hands; resurrection of the dead; eternal judgment. God helping us, we’ll stay true to all that. But there’s so much more. Let’s get on with it! [The Message]
God made so many different kinds of people with varying personality types. Each one is made in His image. So why should I be surprised to discover that His world, and the kingdom, speak to each person in ways that thrill them. It speaks to me no matter how I’m wired. What book can do that! What person can do that! It’s spiritual chemistry.
- If I’m a person who needs a mission, God gives me that. It will take a lifetime to unwrap it.
- If I’m a person who genuinely loves to help others, scripture gives me insight into people and what they need. I will engage in serving in the most meaningful way possible because God will energize it.
- If I’m a person who loves to learn, there is enough science in God’s universe to span an eternal existence.
- If I’m a person who loves to dream and create, God is my creative Mentor. Don’t I want a deep relationship with the One who made the world?
- If I’m a person who loves to think and reason, the Scriptures are elegantly written and provide fodder for legal minds.
- If I’m a visual person who thrives on beauty, the world of the kingdom is unveiled in great detail with vivid imagery. It will thrill my soul now, and forever.
What I haven’t mentioned yet is most important. You and I have a voracious appetite for God. He made us for connection with Him and we are most alive when we live in Christ. But when we are disconnected and the Spirit is quenched, we don’t feel the longing and can’t imagine that jumping into the deep end of the pool of the Spirit is what we’re really seeking. The most important prayer I’ll pray outside of the sinner’s prayer is this:
“God, awaken my heart to see Your glory and touch the eyes of my heart to see Your Word as You see it. And then, help me feel what you feel about the scriptures.” Amen