For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you”? Or again, “I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son”? And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God’s angels worship him.” Hebrews 1:5-6
- No angel has ever been born a son of God.
- No angel has ever been addressed as ‘my son’.
- No angel has ever heard, ‘Today I have begotten you.
- No angel has ever been given the privilege of hearing, “I will be to him a father.”
- No angel has ever been glorified and witnessed all other angels being told to worship him.
The world’s fascination with angels is due to the fact that they are invisible, yet all around us. They bring supernatural intervention just outside the realm of the naked eye. Mankind was designed to be a spiritual being, in contact, and connected to, the divine. But angels were never meant to be the object of our quest.
- Jesus was born a son of God.
- Jesus did hear His Father address Him as ‘my Son.’
- Jesus did hear His Father declare that He was the Father’s begotten One.
- Jesus did claim to be God’s son.
- Jesus was glorified and became the object of heaven’s worship.
The world should be fascinated with Jesus. He is invisible and He is present. He brings supernatural intervention, yet outside the naked eye. We were designed to be not only connected to Him but united to Him. He is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end of our quest.
Why the disconnect? Angels didn’t die in our place and tell us we needed a Savior. Angels didn’t come to bring truth with a sword. Angels didn’t tell people to stop sinning nor did they call anyone a sinner. Angels never came to preach about hell. Angels are safe to adore and the enemy is happy to use them to distract the world from the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
I am easily diverted from what I dread facing. Every day, I’m inclined to put off the unpleasant. How easy it is to focus on angels ‘who are close to Jesus’ but in no way betrothed with God’s child.
No angel has ever declared his love for me but You did. Lover of my soul, You sent them to serve and to show me how much You love me. My gaze is upon You. Amen